gtk slow

Hello,

I got a problem with gtk-apps being very slow to start up.Sylpheed gives
me a empty frame for about 4 secounds and then the rest of the gui shows
up.
When I use the downloadbasket of nt-downloader for x it eats about 80%
of
the CPU.
I did up-and downgrade gtk1.2 and gtk2.0 with no effect.
Also tried google and the user mailinglist.It seems that I am the only
one having that problem or other people don't see it as a problem.
I don't think that it is hardwarerelated since everything worked fine
with other distros.I even punished myself and put gentoo on my box to
see what that does and everything is normal there.
Can anybody point me to some info about this or give me a suggestion
what might be wrong here?

regards,
Klaus