Re: Gnome2 for woody

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 01:12:31AM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 00:39, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > However, the introduction of Gnome2 is no reason to initiate a pogrom
> > against Gnome1!  Leave it be!  It will be dropped from the archive
> > when there is nobody left with the motivation to maintain it.
> >
> > I urge you to have some humility.  People can legitimately make a
> > different choice than you do.  Let them!
>
> Feel free! Just don't ask *us* to maintain GNOME 1 versions of our
> packages.

I wouldn't dream of asking that.  To the contrary, I explicitly
volunteered to maintain gnome-terminal and sawfish.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200207/msg00079.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200207/msg00101.html

> Nobody is saying "Don't you dare maintain GNOME 1 versions of
> our packages"

To the contrary, Christian M is saying exactly that:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200207/msg00117.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200207/msg00124.html

> Exercise: come up with a list of those packages which should have a *2
> version in unstable, at least to begin with.

gnome-terminal, sawfish-gnome and its attendants for a start.
The complete answer is: any non-library that exists in G1 and G2.

> > I would turn the question around and ask you: Why do you want to make
> > the decision that everyone using unstable should use Gnome2?
> >
> > Before you bring up the usual argument that it is "tradition" that
> > there is one and only one version of a given piece of software in the
> > archive at any moment in time, examine the archive a bit more
> > carefully.  You will find a number of exceptions: gcc, apache,
> > autoconf, automake, and the linux kernel itself, to name a few.
>
> How about the fact that gnome 1.4 is rapidly going to be unmaintained
> upstream?

So what?  Leave it be until noone bothers to maintain it for Debian.

-Steve