Re: GNOME-2 transition plan

>> "JV" == Jochen Voss <jvoss2@web.de> writes:

> Hello all,

Hi,

[...]

> As far as I understand it, we seem to agree that currently
> we should have

>     package   - GNOME 1.4 version
>     package2  - GNOME 2 version (in experimental?)
>                  Provides: package
>                  Conflicts: package
>                  Replaces: package

We don't need to provides a package name.

> How would this look after we decided to get rid of the 2 suffix?
> As far as I see it we would do the following:

First we should wait for the GNOME 2 stable release and for the woody
release before breaking sid (see the command -v bug)

>   1) Upload

>     package   - more stable, more tested, future GNOME 2 version
>                  Provides: package2
>                  Conflicts: package2
>                  Replaces: package2

Simply upload the package without the 2 and add a conflicts with the 2
package. This solution is the more easy, but we lost all the GNOME 1.4
packages.

[...]

> I am somewhat skeptical about the first upgrade path.
> If somebody decides to try the GNOME-2 packages early,
> what would happen to him after we drop the 2 suffix?
> Does he need to manually switch back to "package"?

The GNOME 2 packages are in experimental, then users knows what they are
doing (I hope).

Christian