Re: Gnome 2 summary 16/06/2002

On 16 Jun 2002 16:14:45 +0200
Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> >> "JP" == Julien Portalier <julien@portalier.com> writes:

> > I'm asking myself a question, how can the GNOME2 developpers can say
> > sawfish will be the default window-manager for gnome2 ? I tried
> > myself to compile it (v20020524 and v20020611), and each the
> > compilation failed, because a rep librarie is missing in
> > rep-gtk-gnome2 : gdk-pixbuf. I didn't found any way to compile it...
>
> This is impossible to build this lib because the required target in
> the Makefile.in is missing...
>
> But compiling sawfish with --disable-gnome-widgets works..
>
> Really interesting.

Ok, no comment to add...

> > So, as you say in the summary list, sawfish doesn't compile, so can
> > sawfish really be the default WM for gnome2 ??
>
> I've sent an e-mail to the sawfish mailing list 4 days ago and never
> got any reply.

Still no comment.. i'll be waiting for Metacity to be really usable. I
explain myself : there's some little things that makes it unusable for
me. I'd like (for example) to be able to have windows over others (for
gimp especially), but when you click in a window, the clicked window
raises up ! How can i work with gimp with that ?? Next, i'm not using
Nautilus (not very usable on my Celeron 300...) but Rox, and i can't use
the rox' desktop... because every icons are set in the right top corner
on my screen... no way to move them...

is there any way to get rid of this problems, or should i filles somes
"bugs" and enhancement features ?

Julien