Re: fork problem

My guess is that you're getting a sigpipe.  If you try to write to a pipe that has no reader attached, you'll get that and it could close one program.  open it rw on one end, or figure out a better syncronization strategy, and that should solve the pipe problem.  You could also set up a signal handler to test if thats happening.