gnome2 setup

Hi,
I've tried every possible combination to get gnome 2 running but was not
successful. I pointed to unstable and experimental and downloaded all the
core libraries. now everytime i try to log in i get:

The GNOME Session Manager (process 1380) has crashed due to a fatal
error (Segmentation fault).
When you close this dialog, all applications will close and your session
will exit.
Please save your files before closing this dialog.

This happens right after I login to GDM. If I don't get this message,
then I get another message that is also a segmentation fault error
caused in x-session-manager.

I installed metacity, had the same error appear. Installed sawfish-gnome, had the same problem coming up...

Please advise on what I can try next... Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Mikhail