gmc and view

I just installed gmc on my woody/testing (2.4.17-bf2.4) system.  Mostly
gmc works fine, but when I right-click on a file and select "View" the
window freezes for one minute before popping up the file viewer window.

It may be a red herring, but the starting VC has messages:
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

Another question: where do I find help on gmc?  I can't find a man page,
and drew a blank in the /usr/doc path as well.  I'd like to find out if
its possible to change the default viewer and editor (not being a vi
expert).

thanks
Gib