Re: Gnome 2 summary 17/04/2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 03:17:32PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 14:53, Chris Waters wrote:

> > New versions of linc and orbit2 were already in incoming when you
> > wrote this.  As for ssl support -- it's my understanding that the
> > ssleay license is incompatible with GPL/LGPL.

> Have you talked to ORBit upstream about using GNUTLS, or adding an
> exception to the license?

Hadn't heard of the former.  Definitely looks like it would bear
investigation.  Thanks for the tip!

As for the latter, I have, of course, thought about it.  But I'm not
sure it would help.  The problem is that if linc were modified to be
under a GPL+exception license, then the resulting combination of
linc+openssl would be subject to ssleay's annoying advertising clause,
which in turn would make it incompatible with ORBit2's license.  If
ORBit2 were then to have _its_ license modified to allow the inclusion
of ssleay, then the openssl+linc+orbit2 combo would be incompatible
with any GPL'd apps using orbit2, and so on.

GNUTLS definitely looks like the best way out.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single