Re: Gnome install

>> "LJ" == Laurent Jacques <ljacques@fyma.ucl.ac.be> writes:

> On Friday 30 November 2001 21:15, Laurent Jacques wrote:

[...]

> But I have still now two surprises:
> - gnome is verrrryyyy slooooowwww at startup. About 2 minutes on a PII 400Mhz;

Do you have xfstt installed ? If yes this is a bug in this package. The
solution : "dpkg -P xfstt"

> - gmc was not launched until I try it on the command line which caused the
> writting of some configuration files in ~/.gnome/. Now gmc starts at every

An install script can't do that automatically.

> gnome startup but without the typical desktop icons like the trash, the home
> dir, etc ... ?

Maybe a bug in gmc ? (I don't use gmc)

> It is a bit strange for me that I have to configure all my gnome by hand and
> step by step. This is why I think it lacks something important in my
> config/package list.

You can use the gnome control center to configure all yours gnome options.

> So, my question is again: do you know/have a page with a complete description
> of a successful gnome installation on the debian woody containing the list of
> all the important packages ?

The best for that is to install tasksel and choose the different gnome tasks.

Christian