vanishing windows (GdkWindow ... unexpectedly destroyed)

Hello,

I'm running sid, updated pretty much every day or two (gnome-core is
currently version 1.4.0.4-13), and for the last couple of weeks I can
make windows (e.g. gnome-terminal, xemacs, netscape) vanish simply by
switching my workspace.

It's one of those bugs that happens "sometimes" and I can't figure out
precisely what triggers it.  All I know is that it happens when I
press the key combination to switch to the adjacent workspace.  When I
return to the first workspace, the window is gone.  The only trace is
a note

  Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x20002d9 unexpectedly destroyed

in .gnome-errors.

I've searched the web using 'GdkWindow unexpectedly destroyed' and
turned up a number of hits going back years.  Most of the hits occur
in mailing lists for specific applications, e.g. nautilus or abiword.
But this has only recently started happening to me, and it appears to
be a general problem: it happens to windows for gnome-terminal, xemacs,
and netscape, to name three.

Anyone else similarly afflicted?

-Steve

--