Re: Woody source frustration!

Hello,

First, I would like to apologize for my messages to this list last week.  The
intentions behind them were good, and I still think most of the content of the posts
was useful, but I definitely crossed the line from constructive criticism to
unnecessarily harsh flaming.  After all, we are all volunteers here.  Please accept my
apology.

Christian Marillat wrote:

> gtkhtml 0.7 was already broken before this upload. gtkhtml need gnome-print
> 0.23, who has never be packaged.
>
> The soname for gnome-print 0.20 was 6, for 0.24 was 11

I see, this makes sense.  I guess my complaint then is with upstream, for not
releasing a gtkhtml which compiles with the latest sources in nearly six weeks... :-(

> >>  Nothing depends on gtkhtml (I've all the Gnome stuff installed)
>
> ACPI> Uh, yes it does (look at the gnome-core Build-Depends, and
> ACPI> configure.in).  Could it be that the package was built without
> ACPI> libgtkhtml-dev installed, so the part depending on it was not built?
> ACPI> Or is this an extraneous dependency (in one of the few GNOME packages
> ACPI> whose Build-Depends I didn't write :-)?
>
> gtkhtml is needed by the gnome-help-browser binary, but isn't linked
> dynamically but statically.
>
>  $ ls -l  /usr/bin/gnome-help-browser
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       633916 nov 20 16:15 /usr/bin/gnome-help-browser

Interesting, I wonder why it is statically linked?

> I've enabled --enable-gtkhtml-help for user's request.
>
> ACPI> As a temporary workaround, I'll try building gnome-core without
> ACPI> gtkhtml, so I at least have a functioning desktop.
>
> I think this should work.
>
> If this work I can remove --enable-gtkhtml-help and libgtkhtml dependencies.

Okay, this all works, that is, it is possible to build gnome-core with
--enable-gtkhtml-help and without gtkhtml installed.  (The configure.in is intelligent
enough to look for gtkhtml, and not finding it, to fall back on gtkxmhtml for
gnome-help.)

As to whether libgtkhtml should be removed as a dependency, I don't think this should
be done, even in spite of all of the gtkhtml build problems.  If the feature enhances
gnome-help, and can be built using existing Debian packages (at least in theory), then
it should probably be there.  (Maybe there should be Build-Suggests for this type of
issue? :-)

On to another topic, I still feel it's odd to have gnome-control-center depend on
gnome-core, and wonder if this (binary) dependency should be removed.  It's puzzling
to be building and installing the source packages in the proper order and have one of
the built binaries be uninstallable because of a missing dependency- which isn't
supposed to be built yet.  But this is just my opinion, I don't see anything in Policy
on circular dependency.

Thank you again for your helpful reply, and I will try to be more civil in future
posts.

-Adam P.