Re: Helix GNOME packages for Debian available for testing.

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 11:02:34AM +0300, Tuomas Jormola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > How's about splitting up those -themes packages?? 16M is just too big
> > for a package that could be split up IMHO ...
> >
> > Having gtk-theme-minegtk, gtk-theme-photon etc. would be a much better
> > solution I think ... the same for sawfish-themes. It would also save
> > people having to download a 16M (for gtk-themes) os 5M (sawfish-themes)
> > package when just 1 or 2 themes have been updated ...
> A point of view of a user.
> I don't think it's a good idea to follow One Theme - One deb policy since
> that way we would have dozens and dozens of new debs, which wouldn't be
> nice and practical. But I think All Themes - One deb isn't the best way,
> too. I'd split'em in maybe 4-6 debs so that themes that tries to emulate
> the look and feel of other operating systems would be one package, all the
> themes that use ThinIce engine would be another package and so on. Theme
> packages with themes, how does that sound?

I agree. I think that "One Theme - One Deb" makes less sense when you can
easily get individual themes from themes.org. The gtk-themes package is
intended as a convenience for the users who want to try out a large number
of themes.

That said, I do want to split it up somewhat. The current setup of
recommending each of the gtk-engines doesn't make much sense, since
gtk-themes really does depend on them (consider the pixmap engine). I
would like to make a gtk-themes-pixmap package, for example, that depends
on gtk-engine-pixmap and contains all the pixmap themes in
gtk-themes. This could be done for each engine.

Peter