Stable Readiness of Potato GNOME (?)

I installed a new potato system and, frankly, I am somewhat disappointed about
the GNOME situation (although the rest of the system works excellent). It
might be, that it is only a matter of missing documentation.

What I did:

I selected

Gnome Apps
Gnome Desktop
Gnome Games
Gnome Net

during a simple installation.

What happend (after setting up X, ...):

1. xdm started. When logging in, TWM started. No sign of GNOME
2. I decided to install gdm instead of xdm. Maybe it is easier to start GNOME
with gdm
3. GNOME started (panel) but NO window manager started
4. I started wmaker using the Control Center of GNOME
5. Logged out, logged in. GNOME and wmaker started. But now wmaker placed its
icons over the GNOME panel.
6. Searched for documentation: dhelp: misc/GNOME FAQ/ Not Debian specific
documentation
7. Search /usr/doc
8. Found /usr/doc/gnome-core/README.Debian:
The previous maintainers' .xsession file looked something like this:
--
xsetroot -solid slategrey &
xrdb -load $HOME/.Xdefaults

Hopefully I only missed a single line somewhere, which avoids all the trouble
for others.

I just added Coolo, to show him that many Debian users might appreciate his
work.

Thanks.

Rainer.