Re: Debian and GNOME, partnership with Helixcode?

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

> 	I do not agree. If there were more communication GNOME<->Debian
> maybe the people in GNOME could become Debian developers, understand the
> policy and make themselves the packages to be included in Debian.

Certainly.  Or interested Debian people could join Gnome and do exactly
the same thing.  (Note: I don't know too much about the dynamics of KDE or
Gnome but I'm assuming they both follow an open, bazaar style like
Debian. If this is not the case then I take back what I said.)

> 	Who's currently working this path? Are there people from GNOME in
> Debian currently?

Isn't/Wasn't  Havoc Pennington a Debian developer?  Apart from Miguel
that's the only Gnome name I know.

> 	I do not think that talking to another project is taking a stand.
> Debian *should* have people talking with KDE and GNOME and giving support to
> both sides, if Debian makes it difficult for this people to work with Debian
> we are loosing the needed desktops.

I agree.  I meant we should not favor one side over the other.  Right now
we don't include KDE for firm legal license reasons.  If we "partner" with
some projects and not others it will look like politics and we will lose
respect.

> > Btw Why is this on private?
>
> 	Because it is not nice to talk of other people begind their backs in
> public ?

But you cc'ed debian-gtk-gnome which is a public list isn't it?

My comments may be quoted elsewhere if necessary.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>