Re: Updated status of GNOME in potato

Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> writes:

> Le Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 04:11:58PM -0700, Chris Waters écrivait:
> > > Finally, I'm *not* proposing some dumbass rush to do a shit job just
> > > to say we did it.

> > Funny, that looks like EXACTLY what you're doing!

> Instead of complaining about our way of doing you should better work
> on enhancing (your) packages ...

I'm not complaining about "our way".  (And all of my packages are
fine, thank you very much.)  I simply posted a reminder that it's more
important to do it right than to do it fast, and Michael Dorman jumped
down my throat and accused me of not caring about the users and
threatened to NMU all my packages if I was even a second late with my
uploads.  That was outrageous, unreasonable, and insulting.

I care very much about our users.  Fast is nice -- nothing wrong with
fast.  But making *working* packages is more important.  Yet, when I
said so, Mr. Dorman disagreed -- what other conclusion was I supposed
to draw?

> How do you know that we're doing shit job when we're doing it fast ?

I don't CARE whether you do it fast as LONG as you do it right!
Period!  Does someone actually DISAGREE with that?

I post a simple reminder to be careful, and I get yelled at and people
swear at me.  What on earth is that about?  Do I need to break out the
tranquilizer darts?  Sheesh!  :-)

> If someone do a NMU he must :
> - either have you acknowledglent
> - or know that you're out of touch

Yes!  Thank you very much!

> And generally (and in Gnome 1.0.50 in particular) newer version fixes
> many bugs so the newest version is certainly not worst than the previous.

That remains to be seen -- I've certainly seen new releases of Gnome
cause more problems than they fix, even when they've fixed a lot of
problems.

Furthermore, we have, as Mr. Dorman pointed out, seen uploads recently
that just plain didn't work.  Like him, I'm not naming names or
placing blame.  All I am asking is that people take the time to make
sure that things work before uploading.  I don't care if that only
takes five minutes, or if it takes three weeks.  All I care is that
you do it, and don't leave us all stuck with broken packages --
something we've all seen a little too much of lately.

Now, unless someone *else* wants to insult me for *daring* to suggest
that we should create working packages, I suggest we all get on with
what we were doing.  :-)

cheers