Re: i18n

Steve Haslam <araqnid@debian.org> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 07:07:27PM +0200, Christian Leutloff wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > now it seems possible to start gnome-terminal. I don't know why ...
> >
> > But it has now german words on most dialogs etc. It's nice. BUT if
> > there seems to be translation abvailable, NOTHING is written in the
> > menu entry. Why isn't then used the default/english one??
>
> It should use the internal id if nothing is available (and usually
> this is an English string).
>
> Hmmm, if I do "LANG=german gnome-terminal", that works fine: I get
> mostly German menu entries, with 'Hilfe' containing a "GNOME terminal
> users guide" option...

hmm, but LANG=german is IMHO wrong. Here are my values:

$ env
LC_ALL=de_DE
LANG=de_DE

They are now defined for a long time and most programs are aware of
this.

But as I read my first description again, I get it a bit misleading. I
doesn't mean that no string at all appears but rather that some menu
entries are empty. The menu items are available and functional, but
without a label it is very difficult to estimate the meaning.

Why is label blank and not in english!?

Bye
  Christian

--