Re: Steve Haslam and Gnome in potato

Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> writes:
> I'd like that someone package a new upstream version of
> both gnome-core and gnome-libs and check which bugs
> have been corrected. Each upstream bug should be forwarded in the Gnome BTS
> if the bug is still present in the new version. If the bug is debian-only
> then try to correct it. :)
>
> It's time to do it right now, before Gnome 1.0.50 so that all bugs will be
> corrected in Gnome 1.0.50 that will come soon (one or two weeks probably).
>
> If nobody is willing to do it, I'll do it myself.

I've started working on this.

However, I've hit a kind of a snag.  The current package has 700K+ of
diffs (uncompressed), which I think could be avoided by creating a
build directory and building in there.

Normally, when I'm working on someone else's package, I just make
whatever minor revisions are necessary to get things working, and
leave it at that.  Moving to using a build directory is more than just
a minor revision, but I think it could make the package a lot cleaner.

So, what do people think?  Should I be concervative, or should I
assume that since Steve's not responded about this important package
in so long that I should act as if I'm adopting it, and thus do
whatever I think is best long-term?

Mike.