Re: [spam 03.24/10.00 -pobox] session manager

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Andreas Jellinghaus told me on the Linuxtag event lastw eekend that Red Hat
> has made a lot of modifications to the session manager of gnome so that it
> does actually work (so for example, you can say: "Save my session now").
>
> Can you look into that and maybe incorporate the changes in the Debian
> package?
>
> To the list: Are there other gnome parts were RH has advantages?

The Red Hat people nicely sent us all the patches with explanations of
what each one does, but we haven't merged them all upstream yet (I don't
think, maybe someone has by now). Anyway, they will go in soon.
It is probably simplest to wait for them to be merged upstream.

One Red Hat advantage is a little app called consolehelper that uses PAM
to do some root-requiring stuff (such as shut down). This is harder to
merge upstream since many systems don't support it, so to merge we first
have to write non-PAM stubs or something. Anyway, Debian will likely want
to copy this if it doesn't go upstream.

Havoc