Re: i18n

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 08:02:29PM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> > Do other programs using gettext for i18n work OK?
> yes.
>
> If you can tell me where the translation is made (libgnome, panel,
> libgtk...) I could help debugging.

Gnome does translation using the gettext library, in libc6. The
test_i18n program was intended to show that this is working fine.

The text then has to be rendered by gtk/gdk in the correct font, after
any charset conversion/whatever. So, if test_i18n works and
gnome-hello-2-i18n doesn't, there is something wrong inbetween gettext
retrieving the translation and gnome/gtk rendering it. Someone running
gnome-hello-2-i18n should be able to verify this by stopping the
program after the call to gettext() returns when setting up the
"Hello GNOME" button.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam               Debian GNU/Linux               araqnid@debian.org
orbit, gnome-libs, gnome-core, gnome-control-center, gdm, p3nfs,