Re: gnome-terminal & Co stopped working

Steve Haslam <araqnid@debian.org> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 04:06:45PM +0200, Christian Leutloff wrote:
>
> > I'm really confused. What package need an upgrade, too???
> >
> > Why is esd not installed through dependencies!?
>
> The esound shlibs file brings in libesd0, not esound. I think I'm going to
> put "Depends: esound" into the libgnomeui32 package, there have been too
> many occurences of this...
>
> > What can I do to locate the error/mistake?
>
> "apt-get install esound".

it doesn't help - the "esd not found" disappereard, but the other
messages and failures remain.

I'm using an X-Server on another machine than the one where gnome is
supposed to run. So there isn't a functional sound system available.

$ gnome-terminal
/dev/dsp: No such device
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
/dev/dsp: No such device
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
/dev/dsp: No such device
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
/dev/dsp: No such device
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
/dev/dsp: No such device
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
/dev/dsp: No such device
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
/dev/dsp: No such device
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
/dev/dsp: No such device
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
/dev/dsp: No such device
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Unable to create socket
Segmentation fault

As of ftp.de.debian.org:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, libgnome32 is already the newest version
Sorry, esound is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-core is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-bin is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-control-center is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-panel is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-hello is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-session is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-terminal is already the newest version
Sorry, orbit is already the newest version
Sorry, libart-dev is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-utils is already the newest version
Sorry, gnome-apt is already the newest version
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 321 not upgraded.

What should I do?

Thanks
     Christian

--