Re: GNOME 2 in unstable announcement

>> works, but just for a while, so users can choose to try gnome2, test
>
> They can. Nobody is forced to use unstable.

Great, so your way to give a choice is 'change your distribution,
dude' ?

>> use, they can easily revert to gnome1. (which is a PITA if packages
>> have the same names).
>
> Not at all, you just have to learn better apt-get ;-)

I know apt-get enough, thank you. But as long as there is no easy way
to distinguish packages from gnome2/gnome1, there is no easy way to
tell apt-get which packages to upgrade/downgrade.

How in hell am I supposed to keep gnome1 if I don't even know which
packages are from gnome2 ? OK, you can tell me "read the list
archive", I know there is a list of packages, but that does not
qualify as an easy or obvious way. A *2 package name does.

You want good testing of the system (conversion scripts,...) before it
goes to the testing branch ? Then you need to keep developpers with
gnome1 systems at first. If your first move towards a well tested
transition is to slam each potential tester's configuration, how are
you going to test ? With lame users like me ?

I don't even understand why you don't want *2 package names... Yes it
would be more work (and I am infinitely gratefull to all developpers
for the tremendeous amount of work you all put in debian), but would
it be more work than the countless mails you wrote in this list to
defend your point of view ? Not counting what will come when each
gnome desktop in unstable will be reverted to a basic default...

Ok, I'll stop here, I don't have a voice in the process anyway.
Cheers,
--
Rémi

`Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
 toe individually.' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey