Re: Package dependencies on protobuf libraries

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> Mathias Gibbens <gibmat@debian.org> writes:
>
>>>   * golang-etcd-server-dev
>>>   * golang-github-go-kit-kit-dev
>>>   * golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-middleware-dev
>>>   * golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-grpc-gateway-dev
>>>   * golang-github-openzipkin-zipkin-go-dev
>>
>>   Not having heard any objections, I'll plan to upload updates for
>> those five packages later tomorrow -- I've pushed a commit for each
>> package to salsa with the changes.
>
> Great!  Several of those packages came up as causing FTBFS with grpc, so
> let's see if your update makes any difference there.
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-go/2024/02/msg00015.html

I got this error message when trying to package cosign:

 golang-etcd-server-dev : Depends: golang-goprotobuf-dev but it is not installable
 golang-github-go-kit-kit-dev : Depends: golang-github-golang-protobuf-1-3-dev but it is not installable
 golang-github-google-cel-go-dev : Depends: golang-goprotobuf-dev but it is not installable
 golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-middleware-dev : Depends: golang-github-golang-protobuf-1-3-dev (>= 1.3.3~) but it is not installable
 golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-grpc-gateway-dev : Depends: golang-goprotobuf-dev (>= 1.3.3) but it is not installable
 golang-github-openzipkin-zipkin-go-dev : Depends: golang-goprotobuf-dev but it is not installable
 golang-google-genproto-dev : Depends: golang-goprotobuf-dev (>= 1.4.1~) but it is not installable

This seems like the same issue: some other package was demanding
golang-goprotobuf-1-5-dev but the packages above cannot be installed.

Could you add golang-github-google-cel-go-dev and
golang-google-genproto-dev to your list of packages to fix in the same
way?

As an alternative, could golang-goprotobuf-1-5-dev have 'Provides:
golang-goprotobuf-dev' instead of the
'golang-github-golang-protobuf-1-3-dev
| golang-github-golang-protobuf-1-5-dev' approach?  Dependency
resolution is always tricky..

/Simon