Re: RFS: golang-google-grpc + golang-github-google-s2a-go

On Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 1:56 PM Nilesh Patra <nilesh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 07:56:23AM +0800, Maytham Alsudany wrote:
> > Hi Nilesh,
> > > This is a package with a lot of (important) reverse-dependencies and this is a minor
> > > version (assuming they comply with semver.org) bump.
> > > Have you verified that it does not cause any regressions in the reverse-deps
> > > with ratt[1] or ruby-team/meta[2]?
> > >
> > > [1]: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ratt
> > > [2]: https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/meta
> >

> > I've run ratt on golang-google-grpc, and 22 packages fail to build out of 127.
> > I'll go through and try to update and/or fix the failing packages.
> >
> > Does this call for a migration, since it affects a lot of packages?
>
> If I am not wrong, the situation is (far) more complicated than just this, sorry I missed
> highlighting this earlier.
> IIRC, there was some discussion a while back that just running ratt isn't enough (even for experimental)
> and that grpc may break things at run-time as well. It also had some entanglement with the protobuf
> package.

grpc-go itself shouldn't be a problem, but IIRC the new version
requires some packages that need to use new protobuf implementation at
runtime, which would cause problems for packages using both old
protobuf and grpc-go.

For safety, yes please upload to experimental, and people can try
rebuilding their packages and test them.

--
Shengjing Zhu