Re: RFS: golang-github-humanlogio-humanlog/0.7.6-1 [ITP] -- Logs for humans to read.

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 09:07:28PM +0800, Maytham Alsudany wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "golang-github-humanlogio-humanlog".
>
> I've done some questionable things for this package to get it working, which I
> need a sponsor to review first before uploading.
>
> The main thing I need a second pair of eyes to look at is that I've made it so
> humanlog uses the bundled version of github.com/humanlogio/api/go (the one in
> the vendor/ directory). My reasoning:
>  * This isn't worth having it's own package (and the library in question is
> located in a subdirectory of the repo, making it a challenge to package).

You could simply package https://github.com/humanlogio/api and there is
no need to package a subdirectory. However, this is filled with pb.go
files and I concur that it feels weird to package. This seems OK to
vendor.

However, the major issue here is that there is no license on that repo
and that is a ground for reject.

Your copyright is also incomplete - do note that any other component
that has an author and/or license needs to be clearly mentioned in the
copyright. I had fixed the copyright for you in kr-logfmt for instance
in case you checked. You could also look at the d/copyright of kitty
itself.

Additionally, the vendor/ directory contains tons of un-needed stuff.
Kindly repack it to include only needed humanlgio/api package.

	https://wiki.debian.org/Javascript/Repacking

You could look at singularity-container package as an example.

>  * The version included in vendor/ is the right version for humanlog to work
> with.

I am not really sure what this is supposed to mean.

>  * IMHO this should be internalised (a part of humanlog's codebase instead of
>    being separate).

Feel free to tell that to upstream with an issue.

> I've achieved this by symlinking the relevant directory from vendor/ to the
> build directory (_build/). See the VCS for the implementation.

I think the go build system would do it for you and the entire
override_dh_auto_configure section can go away. The package will build just fine
without any of that; and it is only complicating things in what is
supposed to be a simple package.

> Note that (at the time of writing), the dependencies golang-github-kr-logfmt-dev
> and golang-connectrpc-connect-dev are only available in unstable, and haven't
> yet migrated to testing. Keep that in mind when working on this package (e.g.
> adding unstable to sbuild chroot's sources.list).

You're actually supposed to build in an unstable chroot only.

Best,