Re: Updating golang-github-checkpoint-restore-go-criu to v6

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 11:04 AM Mathias Gibbens <gibmat@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'd like to get golang-github-checkpoint-restore-go-criu updated to
> major version 6 in unstable (currently staged in experimental since
> January). v6 is a dependency of LXD and Incus. Rebuilding the various
> rdeps of the library with `ratt` succeeded for 31/35 packages in
> unstable, and the four failures were either runc or packages that
> depend on runc.
>
>   And here's the tricky part -- runc is the OCI runtime, so I'd
> consider it to be a fairly important package not to break. The latest
> release of runc (1.1.9) is still using v5 of go-criu, although the
> upstream main branch has switched to v6. Attempting to patch runc to
> use v6 in Debian seems too invasive, and I don't know how long it will
> be until runc releases a version that uses v6.
>
>   Any suggestions on the best path forward here? Would we want to
> introduce a versioned go-criu library (golang-github-checkpoint-
> restore-go-criu-v6)?
>
>   Also, major version 7 of go-criu was recently released, but I haven't
> tried to build it or test the rdeps with that version.

If you look at the packaging history of runc, you can find we did
multiple times to backport upstream commits to build with the latest
version of go-criu.

Please be aware that go-criu's version should be aligned with criu.
https://github.com/checkpoint-restore/go-criu?tab=readme-ov-file#releases

So it won't make sense to have versioned go-criu as we don't have
versioned criu.

To reduce the risk by patching runc, I have run all upstream
integration tests in autopkgtest.
https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/runc/-/blob/debian/1.1.5+ds1-1/debian/tests/integration

But the criu part hasn't been run (skipped due to not installing
criu), not sure if I just forgot or the debci infra doesn't support.

--
Shengjing Zhu