Re: Access to Debian Go's Salsa group page

Hi Nilesh,

Thanks for your review!

On  Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 15:17:11 +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> What is the reason for naming the repository as
> "golang-github-katalix-go-l2tp" when the package's name is just
> "go-l2tp"?

Arg, yes.

Digging back through my notes I realise that I was making reference to
the dh-make-golang tutorial[1] when I created the salsa project.
Because the tutorial is dealing with a library I used the library
naming convention by mistake :-(

I've just re-run dh-make-golang now and of course it is detecting that
go-l2tp is a program because it defines a main package.  So it's using
the program naming convention.

Hence the inconsistency.

I guess we should perhaps rename the project/repos? (modulo the
outcome of the next question below...)

> Is this package also supposed to be used as a library? If so please
> provide a library package as well.

Yes it is.

I've just tried re-running dh-make-golang with the types "both" and
"combined" to see what it spits out:

    * "both" (or lib+prog): repo is called 'golang-github-go-l2tp',
      the -dev package is listed first in debian/control

    * "combined" (or prog+lib): repo is called 'go-l2tp', the program
      package is listed first in debian/control

I'm not really sure of the semantics of both v.s. combined.

My assumption is that the primary usecase of the package should
probably dictate what comes first in the control file.

Naively, "both" would mean we don't need to rename the repo :-) and
fits more coherently with the upstream's intentions.  go-l2tp is
really supposed to be a library for L2TP applications, and kl2tpd
et al are demo apps as much as anything else, albeit useful ones.

However, from a pragmatic perspective while I know go-l2tp does have
users building apps around it, as of now the goal of packaging go-l2tp
for Debian is to make nm-l2tp's life easier, as nm-l2tp uses kl2tpd
as its default L2TP daemon.  So from that perspective "combined"
seems a more natural fit.

I'm not sure what to do for the best here.

> Since ql2tpd, kl2tpd require root permissions, isn't /usr/sbin a better
> location for them?

Yes you're right, I'll look into fixing that up.

> Please also cleanup:
> W: go-l2tp: groff-message troff:<standard input>:112: warning: cannot select font 'C' [usr/share/man/man5/ql2tpd.toml.5.gz:2]
> W: go-l2tp: groff-message troff:<standard input>:136: warning: cannot select font 'C' [usr/share/man/man5/kl2tpd.toml.5.gz:2]
> W: go-l2tp: groff-message troff:<standard input>:36: warning: cannot select font 'C' [usr/share/man/man1/kpppoed.1.gz:1]
> W: go-l2tp: groff-message troff:<standard input>:48: warning: cannot select font 'C' [usr/share/man/man5/kl2tpd.toml.5.gz:1]
> W: go-l2tp: groff-message troff:<standard input>:54: warning: cannot select font 'C' [usr/share/man/man5/ql2tpd.toml.5.gz:1]

Ack, will do.

Thanks again!
Tom

[1]. https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/2015/07/27/dh-make-golang.html