Re: Undeclared dependencies on tzdata

[ Adding 837060@bugs.debian.org and the submitter to Cc for the reasons explained below ].

El 22/11/22 a las 13:09, Guillem Jover escribió:

So it seems to me we have a bunch of packages that are prio:required
but not Essential (some have switched to Protected:yes), that should
get their priority lowered to (at least to) important:

   debconf
   e2fsprogs
   libpam-modules
   libpam-modules-bin
   libpam-runtime
   mount
   passwd
   tzdata

So, someone should probably file a bug report against ftp.debian.org
to get the overrides updated.

Strictly speaking, we would not need to change priorities, only the behaviour of debootstrap when using the "buildd" profile (which is used to create chroots suitable for building packages). Such suboptimal behaviour was already reported here as a bug six years ago:

Of course, if debootstrap maintainers and ftpmasters decide that the best way to fix this is by debootstrap continuing to install required packages "no matter what", then yes, the priorities should be downgraded, I just wanted to point out that it does not have to be the only possible solution.

Thanks.