Re: Upload request: golang-blitiri-go-spf 1.5.1-1

On Sat, Sep 03, 2022 at 01:01:53AM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 05:05:38PM +0100, Alberto Bertogli wrote:
On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 09:22:36PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 04:43:52PM +0100, Alberto Bertogli wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I updated package golang-blitiri-go-spf to the latest upstream version,
> > 1.5.1. This was a fairly straightforward update.
> >
> > https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-blitiri-go-spf/
> >
> > Can someone please review the changes and upload?
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!
>
> Can you add in a d/watch file to track releases properly?

Sure, done!

OK, uploaded.

Thank you!

However I see that homepage in d/control is pointing
to your personal git instance, but the tags point to the github
repository which seemingly contains the same code, and you are pulling
tags/tarballs from the latter.

I find it a bit odd. Is there a reason for doing so? Why not maintain
it in just one repo and pull tarballs from there?

I don't use tarballs for the Debian package. To get the upstream code, I just pull from the upstream repo (https://blitiri.com.ar/repos/spf), and is included in the package itself, in the "upstream" branch.

I do this for a few of my packages because I find it much easier, safer, and practical than messing with tarballs, and was told it was totally fine or even recommended for some cases.

The only thing I use github for in the Debian package is the watch file you just asked me to add. That's because my git repository browser (at https://blitiri.com.ar/git/r/spf/) doesn't support exporting tarballs yet, and that's what the watch file needs. It's just a workaround.

I see that uscan supports getting the archive from git now, so I will try to switch my packages to that, it'll be much more convenient :)

Thanks,
		Alberto