Re: Why "New upstream version ..." commits in the upstream branch?

Dear Cyril,

> I think this is just regular Git when it's not told to apply special
> care when it comes to merging tags. From `git help merge`:

Thank you for explaining this and thanks to Domenico for asking the question! I
was wondering just the same thing recently having seen this happen in a non-Go
Debian package.

> I don't have hard evidence on this (and don't feel like digging to
> double check) but I seem to remember merging tags happily (getting a FF
> without the aforementioned tricks) for many years, until “recently”. I'd
> say that changed in buster or bullseye.

From a quick git-blame, it looks like this behaviour has been in Git since at
least 2013:

https://github.com/git/git/commit/77c72780edfa5e3858423366fc91699724793b39

I also can't find any change in behaviour in git-buildpackage (the file in
question appears to be git-buildpackage/gbp/scripts/import_orig.py).

Best wishes,

Sebastian