Re: Question about how to proceed with an update breaking another packages tests

On Fri, Jun 03, 2022 at 05:03:29PM +0200, Martin Dosch wrote:
> in order to package newer go-sendxmpp [1] versions I need to package
> gopenpgp [2]. To package gopenpgp I need to package go-mime [3] and update
> go-crypto [4].

I intended to reply to you earlier but simply forgot, sorry.
I am also willing to sponsor your RFS, but not with breaking packages, see below.

> The problem I am facing is: Updating go-crypto breaks go-pgpmail [5]. I
> created an issue upstream [6] and
> it seems that it's just an issue with it's
> tests.

I read the github issue. It seems so.
But I am not 100% sure if it really is tests - we can only know once we decrypt
this in the test code and check back.
I am (virtually) maintaining pgp mail since the
maintainer is inactive, and pgpmail is used for aerc.
It'd be a problem if it is not just the tests.

> What would be the way to solve this?
>
> - Wait until upstream (or someone else who is able to; I am not) fixes   the
> tests

This.

> - Just ignore the failing tests and update go-crypto

Please never break other's packages.
However if you are sure it is just the tests, we can skip them.

> - Provide two different versions of go-crypto until the problem is   solved

Too much mess -- no, IMO.

> another thing that might be worth to consider: Should an issue regarding this
> topic be created for golang-github-emersion-go-pgpmail in the debian issue tracker?

Yeah, but it probably would be as good as your initial email.

--
Best,