Re: Why the two built `.deb` files of `golang-github-docker-docker-credential-helpers` of the same version have different `Built-Using` values?

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 6:00 AM Yaobin Wen
<yaobin.wen@minevisionsystems.com> wrote:
> I have some thoughts and questions regarding the possible fixes to the issue:
>
> 1). Would it be helpful if I do not use the variable `${misc:Built-Using}` but hard-code the specific version in `control`? But hard-coding the specific version may cause problems in the future when the specified version of `golang-1.10` becomes unavailable.

No. The variable exists for recording the depends which are used for building.

> 2). Can I simply remove the use of `${misc:Built-Using}`? This email (https://lists.debian.org/debian-go/2018/09/msg00010.html) says "we're now against the policy" which seems to suggest `Built-Using` is not appropriate here. But if I understand the email correctly, even if this "against policy" issue were fixed, I would still run into the same issue because some other field "X-Go-Built-Using" would be used, so I think simply removing `Built-Using` is not right.

It's Debian policy, not policy for other distributions. It depends on
you to remove it or not for your own project.

> 3). The unavailability of the older version `1.10.4-2ubuntu1~18.04.1` of `golang-1.10` seems to suggest that, if I want to truly achieve reproducible builds, I can't just rely on the external environment.

Yes. It's not reality to expect reproducible build with different
version of build depends.

--
Shengjing Zhu