Re: [RFS] golang-google-grpc (new version)

Hi Nilesh

- I have excluded a couple of modules (like cmd) that were introduced since last version, cause trouble when building and are not needed for purpose of packaging caddy.

I understand that packaging caddy is important for you, but I think it is also important to keep in mind that we can not go about breaking the whole world just because of that.

ACK.
I am not sure however if there is a way *not* to break the whole world in this situation, maybe I should go into detail: One module that I have excluded depends on github.com/google/cel-go and would introduce a circular dependency, since cel-go depends on grpc itself. grpc already has one circular dependency. Exluding cmd/ seemed reasonable to me because grpc ships no binaries and the tests for cmd/ would cause sbuild to freeze, and shipping the source files for a main function that does not even have tests and introduces even more dependencies seemed to me to serve no purpose.

The problem I see with the current state is that it will create additional work for the maintainer to include those things in while doing transition. grpc is a very important package with a number of reverse

dependencies. In principle, uploading to experimental should be harmless, but I think we should consider to ask the maintainer once about it.

Yes that makes sense. I would try to fix the new version at least as far that it does not cause any regressions, and ask its maintainers what the think of my changes.

What do you think?

Peymaneh