Re: [RFC] shirou/gopsutils v2 to v3 migration

Hi Shengjing Zhu, Aloïs, and Alexandre!

Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> writes:

> Please cc lists which have public logs, eg debian-go@lists.d.o or BTS.
> See my reply below.

Thank you, I forgot that the (imho reasonable) assumption that the
address in Maintainer would reach humans wasn't valid for the DGPT.
Also, thank you so much for replying, because this meant that the only
humans who received the email were the ones in CC.

[snip]
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 08:33:14PM -0500, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
[snip]

> In this case, could you try putting v2 and v3 in same package, which is
> golang-github-shirou-gopsutil-dev, just like upstream that put v2 and v3 in
> same repository.
>
> And try to rebuild the reverse dependencies.  I think it would just be fine,
> and no package will be broken.

[snip]

I've confirmed that Syncthing, which requires v3, builds with a v3
gopsutil-dev that has a XS-Go-Import-Path that points to v2.  My
hypothesis was that this would fail.  Why does this work?  Understanding
is more valuable than success, because success cannot reliably be
replicated without understanding ;-)

Given what upstream documentation says, yes, I agree that packages
depending on v2 should continue to function properly.

Aloïs, Can you confirm packages using v2 are still good?  Also, I took
the liberty to revert "use-shirou-disk-v2.patch", because it seems clear
that this we're not taking that direction.  Also, I made various other
minor fixups that I hope are also appreciated :-)  Thank you once again
for you work!

Alexandre, it looks like Syncthing is on track for a near-future update!
Two things that stood out to me where the old debhelper version and the
lintian warning against parsing /etc/passwd.  Is there any reason for
the former, and can you think of any reason against using "id syncthing"
rather than grepping passwd?

Regards,
Nicholas