The CI issue (was Re: Request push access on Salsa)

On 10/14/21 11:38 AM, Faustin Lammler wrote:
Hi!

Aloïs Micard <creekorful@debian.org>,
14/10/2021 – 11:02:17 (+0200):

The CI has been disabled for the whole Go packages. (I'm still working on
getting the runner fixed)

I would be happy to help you on that task. I have quite good experience
with CI systems (drone.io, GitLab CI, GitHub actions, TravisCI and
BuildBot). So do not hesitate to ping me.

Many thanks for the offer!

Actually the problem I'm encountering with the CI isn't related to Gitlab
or anything, it's much a 'performance issue'.

In the go team we have a kinda 'special' CI setup put in place by @stapelberg
which greatly improve the life of Go maintainers by doing full rebuild of all
go packages at every commit. This way you know exactly if your new commit
introduce a regression and you don't have to upload your package to
unstable / experimental and wait for the breaks to happen. You know it right
away and can fix it before doing the real upload. See this [1] for more
information about the setup.

The thing is, the runner managed by @stapbelerg is down because he's moving off
Debian [2] and therefore has put the machine to another use.

I've work on creating Ansibles files [3] (which are now ready to use) that allows
everyone to setup a Go capable runner and register it on Salsa.

The only thing: while some package took <10sec to be build (which is what is intended)
some of them took >10mins, and that's not acceptable.

I'm working on getting this issue fix before making the runner available for everyone.

Cheers,

P-S: (for the whole team) In the same time, with the help of @stapbelerg we have moved
pgt-api-server.d.net from his machine to a team accessible one that I own. If any DD
member of the go-team want shell access to the machine to help in case of errors,
feel free to contact me either at creekorful@d.o or on irc (creekorful).

P-S-2: For those who wonder 'what the hell is pgt-api-server.d.net??' it's  the API
used by dh-make-golang when issuing 'create-salsa-project'. It's basically a Go server
who dial with salsa.d.o to create and configure the repository with the Go team settings.
Source code is available on Salsa [4].

[1]: https://go-team.pages.debian.net/ci.html
[2]: https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2019-03-10-debian-winding-down/
[3]: https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/infra/provisioning
[4]: https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/infra/pkg-go-tools/-/tree/master/cmd/pgt-api-server

--
Aloïs Micard <creekorful@debian.org>

GPG: DA4A A436 9BFA E299 67CD E85B F733 E871 0859 FCD2