Re: Best practices for “versioned” modules?

Hi,

Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> (2020-12-25):
> I think currently for the Go modules, there's no consensus yet, at
> least not in the tools(like dh-make-golang), or the team website/wiki.
> All the docs/tools are invented before Go modules.
> Reading https://go-team.pages.debian.net/packaging.html again, I think
> it says the package name is derived from the import path. So
> github.com/go-playground/assert/v2 shoule become
> golang-github-go-playground-assert-v2-dev.
> But I think I haven't followed this pattern myself :facepalm: eg I
> uploaded golang-mvdan-xurls-dev, but its import path is
> mvdan.cc/xurls/v2, so it indeed should be golang-mvdan-xurls-v2-dev.
>
> (More round trips to NEW queue but less breaks.)

Alright, thanks!

I'm finally getting back to the “versioned” modules after some easier
“unversioned” ones, and I'll check that post-processing dh-make-golang's
results this way works for github.com/go-playground/assert/v2:
 - Update source package name in debian/changelog: adding -v2
 - Update Source, Vcs-*, and Package in debian/control: adding -v2
 - Update XS-Go-Import-Path in debian/control: adding /v2 (as in: adding
   it back, after it was stripped by dh-make-golang)

I'll follow up here if I have any more doubts, otherwise I'll proceed
with the upload afterwards.

Then I'll move to golang-github-go-playground-validator-v10.

It seems that in the end, golang-gopkg-go-playground-assert.v1-dev will
be replaced by golang-github-go-playground-assert-v2-dev, at the same
time golang-gopkg-go-playground-validator.v8-dev will be replaced by
golang-github-go-playground-validator-v10-dev. In unstable right now:
 - golang-github-gin-gonic-gin:
     Build-Depends: golang-gopkg-go-playground-validator.v8-dev
 - golang-gopkg-go-playground-validator.v8:
     Build-Depends: golang-gopkg-go-playground-assert.v1-dev

and there are no other reverse dependencies for those two packages, so
I'll be able to focus on golang-github-gin-gonic-gin once those new
packages are ready. RMs can be filed further down the road.

Thanks again for your quick replies, your feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois -- Debian Consultant @ DEBAMAX -- https://debamax.com/