Re: Taking over an abandoned package

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 5:11 PM Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 11 March 2020 1:43:02 PM AEDT Tong Sun wrote:
> > Is it appropriate for me to rename the
> > https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-vbom-util to
> > something, create a brand new dep14 based one, while keeping all Mr.
> > Arnaud Rebillout's previous valuable commits?
> >
> > I.e. keep the following three from
> > https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-vbom-util/-/commits/master
> >
> > The reason I ask is that, this is the only/easiest way I know.
>
> Why can't you work within the existing repository?
>
> I'm not sure if that's result of your work but now changes to packaging are
> difficult to inspect online because packaging commits are blended with
> upstream commits (which is quite inconvenient):
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-vbom-util/-/commits/debian/sid

I know you have a different view on the new dep14 workflow, Dmitry, so
let me just say that the topic you brought up has less to do with
taking over an abandoned package but more on the how the new dep14
workflow works itself.

I.e., I was just learning from what people are doing, for e.g., take a
look at this,

https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-k8s-sigs-yaml/-/commits/debian/sid

the one that I've been looking up as the example, it too has exact
behavior as you described above.

BTW, the new dep14 workflow was agreed upon between our small team for
dependency packages of our upcoming
github.com/google/go-containerregistry.

If you like to discuss it further, let's not to use this thread but
continue with the existing
"Basics of packaging with the new workflow" please.

Thanks