Re: Basics of packaging with the new workflow

On Feb 22, 2020, at 12:03 PM, Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 5:15 PM Martina Ferrari <tina@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> [OK this took WAY longer than expected. I am stopping here, but I would
>> really appreciate if others could help with comments, extra examples, etc.]
>>
>> In the past couple of years, I have informally helped a few different
>> people adopt the new workflow[1], but that does not scale well.
>>
>> So, I am putting some of my ideas in a big email to try to document this
>> better, to discuss some problems with the new system, and hopefully to
>> help more people switch to this workflow.
>>
>> I will put notes prefixed with [TEAM], which would really benefit from
>> wider input.
>>
>> [1] https://go-team.pages.debian.net/workflow-changes.html
>>

> I find it hard to reply on every detail paragraph.
>
> As I said in my previous email, dh-make-golang has implemented the new
> workflow, and it's the default mode.
>
> So when you create a new package with dh-make-golang, it creates two
> branches for you,
> + debian/sid
> + upstream
> upstream branch contains upstream history.
> If the vendor directory should be removed, it still needs manual process.
>
> And, dh-make-golang will tell you how to update the package too.
> The instruction is to `gbp import-orig --sign-tags --uscan
> --upstream-vcs-tag=<commit-ish>`
> gbp will do the work for you, like
> + merging upstream history on upstream branch
> + comparing the orig tarball which may exclude vendor directory, and
> generating a merging commit in upstream branch.
> + create upstream/* tags
>
> Please try the new dh-make-golang, and contribute patches.
>
> --
> Shengjing Zhu

[Trying again actually replying to the list]

Thanks so much to Martina for the really detailed write up and to Anthony Fok for implementing it in dh-make-golang.  (And thanks to Shengjing for pointing out to me that Anthony actually made the change!)  I created and uploaded ~5 packages last night using the new workflow and it went very smoothly!

Stephen