Re: google-grpc-dev in buster

[I've added Martín to CC, sorry if you're subscribed to the list.]

Am 19.01.2019 um 10:33 schrieb Arnaud Rebillout:

> On 1/18/19 11:42 PM, Tianon Gravi wrote:
>> Have you tried using ratt to test the reverse dependencies? (That
>> should give you a little better confidence in whether/what it might
>> break to upload.)
>

> Well, I just tried to fire ratt on the *current* version of
> google-grpc-dev, the version that is already in debian unstable, ie.
> 1.11.0-1.
>
> It triggers a rebuild of 114 packages. Quite heavy for my laptop.
>
> I stopped after 58 packages: 11 failed to build... So I don't think ratt
> will help me in this case, fixing all the packages that already don't
> build will be too much work. And if I don't fix them, I will have to
> compare all the build failures against google-grpc-dev 1.11 and
> google-grpc-dev 1.15, and try to guess which of these failures are due
> to the 1.15 version?? Hmmm. I don't think it will work.
>
> I will try to patch docker to build against google-grpc-dev 1.11
> instead. Hopefully I will get to a result quick.

Hi,

wouldn't it be better to upload a more recent google-grpc-dev package to
unstable? After all, it's not unlikely that those build failures are due
to the old version of google-grpc-dev and would be fixed by an upload as
well.

Martín, you've already done the work of updating google-grpc-dev to
release 1.15 in the salsa git repository, and it builds just fine in
unstable -- is there any reason not to upload it?

Regards,
Tobias