Re: RFS: ffcvt version 1.5.03

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 9:30 PM Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 30 December 2019 12:22:08 PM AEDT Tong Sun wrote:
> > Any kind of reviews and suggestions are appreciated.
>
> This is not a complete review, I just had a quick glimpse at the package and
> noticed that "config.go" is generated therefore you should re-build it from
> source by having "export DH_GOLANG_GO_GENERATE := 1" in "debian/rules" and
> also (ideally) remove pre-built file from "debian/clean".

Thank you Dmitry,

So I took a look at DH_GOLANG_GO_GENERATE for the first time and
notice the following paragraph

> If the Go package uses "go generate" to generate artifacts purely from inputs within its own source (e.g. creating a perfect hash table), there usually is no need to re-generate that output. It does not necessarily hurt, either, but some "go generate" commands might be poorly tested and break the build.

So I'm hoping that I can leave the "config.go" as is for now, because

- it is indeed generate purely from inputs within ffcvt's own source
- and it is not changing all the time at all but remain rather static
for very long time
- and when it does need to be changed, I *do* want the changes to be
*version controlled*, because it is the very central and important
piece of source code, generating it on the fly makes me feel very
uncomfortable about the stability of the end results because there
will be many moving parts thereafter.

So, hopefully I can leave the "config.go" as is, *for now*. OK?

Thanks