Re: glibc 2.32 packaging

Hi,

On 2020-08-14 00:18, Balint Reczey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan landing 2.32 in Ubuntu in the next weeks and I'd happily
> contribute to the Debian packaging as well.

Thanks!

> The Ubuntu packaging repository is at:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+git/glibc
>
> There is a also staging one with WIP branches:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~rbalint/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+git/glibc

Before starting packaging 2.32, we need to do the nsl and rpc
transitions, that's why nothing has been started on 2.32 yet. I think
that has to be done in 2 steps:
- nsl transition: packaging libnsl [1] and libnss-nis [2] and build
  glibc without --enable-obsolete-nsl. I have started working on libnsl,
  but unfortunately all rdeps don't build. I have stopped working on
  that this week, I think I'll find some time to work on that next
  week, then I'll push my work to git.
- rpc transition: we need to package rpcsvc-proto and build without
  --enable-obsolete-rpc. I have also starting working on that, but then
  realized we have to take care of nsl first.

> On Salsa there is no branch yet for 2.32 as I see and I'm wondering if
> there is a git repository which accepts merge proposals.
>
> I think setting up CI on Salsa would also be useful, at least I use it
> for most of my packages.

We haven't enabled MR on salsa as nobody really monitors it and we don't
want things to bitrot there. We can enable it, but it should not become
a duplication of the BTS.

> Aurelien, I'd also be interested in the rpcsvc-proto package you
> mentioned earlier [1] and I'd start maintaining it if Josue is not
> interested immediately.

Let's wait a bit from a possible answer from Josue given it's a holiday
period.

Cheers,
Aurelien

[1] https://github.com/thkukuk/libnsl