Re: Propose requiring Python 3.4 or later for building glibc.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 09:47:14AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Any input from Ubuntu?

I think the more tools you involve in any bootstrap process, the more
painful you're going to make it for people bringing up a new arch.

Python isn't exactly lightweight (though there are ways to build just
stdlib and not much else), and intertwining a python bootstrap with
the already tiresome gcc/glibc/etc bootstraps won't fill me with warm
fuzzies.

With the above objection registered, I'll note that for both Debian
and Ubuntu, python3.4 is sufficiently ancient that we'll have no issues
meeting the actual requirement, and for most cases, we shouldn't really
see an issue with the above "oh noes, more bootstrap bits", cause we
can reliably cross bootstrap and ignore the whole issue.

... Adam