Re: Converting SVN repositories to git

On 2016-01-12 13:04, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On 2016-01-07 13:55, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have been talking about converting our SVN repositories to git for
> > years, but without really doing anything. I have therefore decided to
> > give a try, starting first with the tzdata package to understand the
> > process.
> >
> > I have first started to do some cleanup, mostly adding missing tags when
> > possible. I then used the svn2git software [1] for that. I decided not
> > to try to include stitching in the upstream history as there are
> > different way to do that depending on the software to use, and we would
> > have to take a decision first. This is the strategy used for example by
> > the debian-kernel team, and anyway we can stitch in upstream in a second
> > step later. The resulting repository is 1.1MB and 4.1MB with a checkout
> > instead of the 487MB SVN checkout. It is available as a tarball [2] and
> > also temporarily on my gitweb [3] for easy browsing.
>
> I have done some small fixes both in the conversion and in the SVN.
> You'll find the new version at the same place, ie:
>
> https://temp.aurel32.net/tzdata-git.tar.gz
> https://git.aurel32.net/?p=tzdata.git;a=summary
>
> > Any comments are welcome. If it looks fine, I am planning to install
> > this git repository on alioth, removing the SVN version, and then do the
> > same for the glibc package.

I have just made the change live for the tzdata package. Please now use
this git repository instead of the SVN one.

I'll do the same change for the glibc package in the next day.

That will left us with the following unconverted packages:
- glibc-doc-reference: this is a big mess as we also included the
  upstream source in the repository, and we don't use patch to modify
  it. I wonder if we shouldn't just start again from scratch.
- linux-kernel-headers: this is a dead package, I don't really know if
  we should convert it.

Aurelien