Re: Bug #808205 inappropriately marked as closed

Thank you, Aurelien, for the informative answer.

crt is the single most popular static object on a Unix system, and libc6
is also one of the most popular dependencies.  As a pragmatic matter,
don't mark all of them, just mark the one that will get in the way of
every single user.  Breaking the ELF file format itself is not something
to be done carelessly or shrugged off.  The plan does not need to be
perfect but it can be a bit better than "meh."

In other words, have any of the other affected packages received 4
reports of this issue already?

And the idea that partial upgrades are not supported is a farce.  I've
been doing partial upgrades on Debian for 21 years now, and the places
where they are broken are few and far between -- on this issue, today,
glibc is underperforming compared to the vast majority of Debian.  Debian
is unique in having such a robust dependency system.  To fail on a
partial upgrade is forgivable, but it is not unavoidable.

Disagree with me if you want, but you are talking to the man who invented
dpkg --force-all. :)  They told me I was crazy, but I didn't listen!  No
one can resist!  I bet you even use dpkg --force-all yourself, and why
would you do that if not for partial upgrades??  MWAHAHAHAH!!  (evil mad
scientist laugh)

Mark my words: You will hear more about this from other users before the
week is up.  This is the last from me though!

Carry on,
- Greg