Re: Status of the src:lsb package

On 2015-09-23 14:21, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> Le jeudi, 17 septembre 2015, 09.27:56 Nikolaus Rath a écrit :
> > >
> > > FYI, this used to be in lsb-core, and is to be found in the package
> > > VCS history.
> > >
> > > I will not work towards this, but feel free to adopt the package and
> > > upload an updated version.
> >
> > I'm only a DM and having to search for a fresh sponsor for every
> > upload is very frustrating. Would you be generally available to
> > sponsor my uploads (ideallyl until you feel comfortable to give me
> > upload privileges)?
>
> Given that I'm (so far) convinced that _not_ providing the lsb packages
> at all is the correct thing to do for Debian, I'd prefer if another DD
> could sponsor any upload of src:lsb re-introducing these (and drop me
> from Uploaders).
>
> That said, as for the technical issue at hand, iff these symlinks [0]
> are useful to make Debian relevant for (some) non-free software out
> there, couldn't they be handled directly by libc6 on the various
> architectures ?
>
> src:eglibc maintainers: opinions ?

I am personally not very thrilled about that idea, because I don't think
the LSB compatibility should be handled at each package level, even if
it looks technically easier to do that.

That said if someone is motivated to provide a patch and maintain that
part in the future, I guess we can accept that.

Aurelien