Upgrading to Debian 8 and password issues

We have two types of password hashes in our LDAP DB, and the older
type isn't authenticating.  Is the older Unix DES based hash no longer
supported or has some default configuration changed?

A base64 decoded ldif looks something like the following:
userPassword:: {crypt}Aipcuzoh3eiVE

Less than 10% of users have the SSHA hash and the one I tested
authenticates correctly.

Starting with a partial image of our old Debian 6 system, I upgraded
to Debian 7 and it appears the LDAP accounts are authenticating
correctly.  When I upgrade to Debian 8, I'm having an issue with the
old hashes, {crypt} appears to be a old Unix DES based hash.  I also
tested a few of the hashes with shadow passwords, and the DES hashes
are failing there as well.

Thanks,
Chuck