change in __res_state.nscount

Hello,

It was brought to my attention that in the upcoming Debian release (jessie), the value of the nscount member of __res_state will include ONLY IPv4 nameservers:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2014/06/msg00138.html

I just want to point out that this departs significantly from other Linux/Unix where nscount has traditionally included ALL resolvers listed in /etc/resolv.conf (up to MAXNS) regardless of whether they are IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.

This will break name resolution for some applications. In the extreme case where only IPv6 nameservers are listed in /etc/resolv.conf, name resolution will fail completely for those apps.

It's not clear to me what actually triggered the need for this change but perhaps there's another way to address the original issue without changing the behaviour of nscount.

Antonio Querubin
e-mail:  tony@lavanauts.org
xmpp:  antonioquerubin@gmail.com