iconv feedback/improvement request

Hello,

this is a mail for Ulrich Drepper the programmer of the gnu programm
iconv, please confirm me in any case you read the mail and if you are
Ulrich Drepper and not anymore the developer of iconv please send me the
mail address of the current developer.

I have some feedback for the program iconv, i like it very much because
it can convert nearly any character encoding
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding> to any other:)
Because that i wanted to use it in my shell script to translate a stream
from one divice to another and back so that they could communicate. But
the problem was it didn’t worked because iconv isn’t capable of
streaming. What i mean with this is everytime i used unix shell commands
i was able to pipe it to somewhere else while the input is still
running. so i can send files thought gzip (compressing) with netcat
thought the network and on another computer again to gzip
(decompressing) and save it as file. here the data will be transfered
over the network before the compressing is done...

if i use iconv it seams that it loads everithing to my ram and dont
start the converting until the end reached. I tryed that out with a very
big file and indeed he did it as i expected:

while true; do echo "hallo öäü" >> /tmp/testbigfilewithiconv; done
while true; do cat /tmp/testbigfilewithiconv | cat >>
/tmp/testbigfilewithiconv; done
#yes two cat's one dont wanted to write in its own file...
ls -h -s /tmp/testbigfilewithiconv
1,3G /tmp/testbigfilewithiconv
#wou big enough
#let it go:
iconv --to IBM850 < /tmp/testbigfilewithiconv > /tmp/testbigfilewithiconv1

the memory display from my computer you can see in the attachment

i think that is a very inefizeit way, if i didnt had anought memory and
swap the kernel had to kill iconv to prevent other processes.

so please improfe iconv in that way. it sould get streaming capabilities
so its starts translating until the end is reached and it sould do it do
it directly while hes getting stuff. so i can type in text and i get
every letter translated exact after i type it in.

i hope you can do this or suggest me a program with this capabilities.

greetings

--
|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|