Re: RFC: use of shlib bump for libc dependency on new multiarch directories?

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Steve Langasek wrote:
> A virtual package is a good idea, though - in fact, it's such a good idea
> that I remember now we discussed this back at DebConf and I'd subsequently
> forgotten about it.  Thanks for jogging my memory! :)  Yes, whether or not
> we add support in a stable point release, I think that if we don't go the
> dpkg-shlibdeps route we should use a 'multiarch' or 'multiarch-foo' virtual
> package.

But you would put those Pre-Depends: multiarch-foo on the (core) libraries
that should not disappear, right?

It seems cleaner to put it there rather than on utilities.

I would also favor any solution that doesn't involve any shlibs bump in
libc. We've gone to great length to have symbols support in many
libraries, it would be a pity to lose the benefits due to multi-arch (even
if multi-arch is great too!).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer