Re: g#515731: touch: setting times of `/var/lib/update-notifier/dpkg-run-stamp': Function not implemented

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:02:34PM +0000, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
Michael Stone wrote:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 06:35:54PM +0000, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
Michael Stone wrote:
Can someone having this problem please send uname -a output and maybe an strace of a failed run? And the libc6 version.

strace output attached, but to cut a long story short:

utimensat(0, NULL, NULL, 0) = -1 ENOSYS (Function not implemented)

That was my guess. Does lenny work in this configuration?

The coreutils in my lenny guest works fine, yes.

Summary: linux 2.6.18-xen, lenny coreutils works but new unstable coreutils does not. My best guess is that it has to do with the libc6 that coreutils was built against (6.10 was built against 2.6.1-2). I'll try building 6.12 against an older libc6 and make that available for testing. I'd also appreciate reports from anyone else who can duplicate this, to see if it's a xen-specific issue. I'm trying to put together a vm environment with a 2.6.18 kernel to see if I can duplicate it that way.

Mike Stone