Re: Proposal(s) for handling libqt3-mt situation

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:08:17AM +0000, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2008, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As of writing, libqt3-mt ABI breakage caused serious 16 bugs (#464946 &
> > friends) to be reported by our users. So I think it's high time we took
> > some action today or tommorow to unbreak software affected. I'm concerned
> > about Debian unstable users even though in theory they shouldn't be using
> > unstable if they don't known how to downgrade packages. So this mail is all
> > about how to deal with this situation having two main criteria in mind:
>
> I've looked through all C++ packages (libsdtc++6 rdepends), and I think I have
> a complete list of broken pacakges.  They are:
>
> 	digikam
> 	k3b
> 	kcontrol
> 	kdirstat
> 	kexi
> 	konq-plugins
> 	konqueror
> 	ktorrent
> 	libk3b3
> 	libmyth-0.20.2
> 	mythdvd
> 	mythmusic
> 	mythtv-backend
> 	pdfedit
> 	trustedqsl
> 	virtualbox-ose

  Okay that's quite a few, so the "Conflict" option sucks. Here is
another plan, tell me what you think, we put a debian specific hack in
the glibc to reenable the extern inlines for _ONLY_ the packages that
ask for it, for lenny, and remove it in lenny+1.

  Qt _has_ to use it to build, though digikam and friends won't, so that
they will _stop_ using the damn symbols. This way partial upgrades to
lenny works, and in lenny+1 the symbols just disappear for good.

  No Conflicts are needed, We only need a list of _library_ packages
that have the stat (and other symbols) defined reuploaded with a
-D_USE_DEBIAN_GLIBC_EXTERN_INLINE_HACK in the CFLAGS.

  Then a binNMU campaign of
the broken _packages_ has to follow (digikam, k3b, ... ) so that they
loose their wrong *UND* symbols for good.

  I think it's a fair middle ground solution.  Thoughts ?

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit